Saturday, April 16, 2011

Whole Wheat Chocolate Blueberry Muffins


(picture)

These are seriously fabulous. And I felt totally awesome eating them and feeding them to my babies for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I think they might have to be a new freezer staple. Next time I am going to try them with 1/2 applesauce 1/2 butter. I'm sure they would be just as fabulous.

Dark Chocolate Blueberry Muffins

makes 12-15 muffins

2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (I used whole white wheat, do not use regular wheat)

1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons cocoa powder

2/3 cup brown sugar

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1 egg

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/4 cup butter, melted

1 cup milk

1 cup blueberries

1/4 cup chopped dark chocolate (I used semi-sweet choc. chips)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tin with muffin liners.

In a bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, cocoa powder, brown sugar, cinnamon and mix until combined. Using a whisk, stir in the egg, vanilla, melted butter and milk. If the dough still appears too dry, add another tablespoon or 2 of milk. Fold in blueberries and chocolate.

Using an ice cream scoop, spoon muffins into liners. Bake for 13-16 minutes, or until muffins are cooked through.

Recipe Source: howsweeteats.com




No comments: